RE: [Exim] headers_check_syntax and rewriting

Autor: John Horne
A: Exim Users List
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] headers_check_syntax and rewriting
On 31-Jan-01 at 15:18:32 John Horne wrote:
> With Exim 3.22 we have set 'headers_check_syntax' to true. The manual
> (p78) says that if there are any 'Resent-' headers then these are used
> rather than the 'From:' headers for the check, and I gather this is true
> for other checks. However, the rewriting rules allow for the rewriting of
> the From: header but not the Resent-From: which is used in the checks. In
> our case we have a valid From: header user forwarding a message which
> then fails the syntax check. The problem is that the message is going via
> a Novell file server running the Mercury MTA. The Resent-From: header
> ends up like 'jhorne.csv.asvc.plymouth.plymnet@???'. The
> domain is okay, but the local part does not exist - it comes from the
> file server tree structure (I gather).
>
> Using a smartuser director with the 'local_parts' set would probably get
> around this, but my question I guess is whether we should be able to
> rewrite the 'Resent-' headers as well as the standard 'From:', 'To:' etc
> headers?

Well what a load of tosh this is!! Thankfully no-one replied to it -
probably stunned by my stupidity :-) First of all the subject should have
been 'headers_sender_verify' and not the syntax check. Secondly, our reject
log was showing that the 'Resent-' headers were being rewritten where
appropriate. I just wasn't seeing it - "couldn't see the wood for the trees"
as they say.

Apologies,

John.

E-mail: jhorne@???