Re: [Exim] Authenticating bounces

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Marian Eichholz
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Authenticating bounces
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Marian Eichholz wrote:

> Ok, how about "-oas systemuser@domain" [(o)ption, (a)uth, (s)ender] as
> new incantation part, depending on the configuration setting
> "auth_accept_error=yes" and an optional
> "auth_daemon_name=systemuser@domain" (that defaults to
> "Mailer-Daemon@$LOCALDOMAIN")?

(1) It's got to be -oMsomething to fit in with all the other -oM options
that trusted callers can use.

(2) To do the job properly, you need both

  -oMas      to set authenticated sender
  -oMai      to set authenticated id

(3) I don't understand what auth_accept_error is supposed to do. Why is
this option needed?

(4) I don't like the name auth_daemon_name. After all, NO bounce
messages are actually sent by the daemon! They are always sent by Exim
delivery processes. Something like bounce_authenticated_sender describes
it much better.

(5) The default should be unset (a) for backwards compatibility and (b)
because not everybody configures their system to accept mail for
mailer-daemon.