Re: [Exim] Do I need exim?

Página Inicial
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
Para: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Do I need exim?
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Jeffrey Goldberg rearranged electrons thusly:
>
> > You need to run an MTA as well as fetchmail. Fetchmail fetches the mail
> > by POP or IMAP and then reinjects by SMTP on your localhost. So you do
> > need some MTA for receiving mail.

> an MTA is not required, strictly speaking. You can use an mda (like
> procmail) without hassles

Are you sure? Fetchmail, as far as I know, will either pass on the mail

(a) via SMTP, so must talk to something that receives SMTP
(b) via LMTP, ditto.
(c) BSMTP

procmail merely takes a message body, and does not take (B)SMTP as far as
I know.

LMTP really looks like the right thing for this users task.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html