Re: [Exim] Do I need exim?

Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: Philip Hazel
CC: Michael V. Ferranti, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Do I need exim?
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Michael V. Ferranti wrote:
>
> > never used an MTA in my life. I'm just wondering if it's able to forward
> > mail to different local addresses from a single ISP/email account, and what
> > addressing method is used to accomplish the feat.
>
> People seem to use fetchmail for this kind of thing, but I don't know
> how they set it up.

You need to run an MTA as well as fetchmail. Fetchmail fetches the mail
by POP or IMAP and then reinjects by SMTP on your localhost. So you do
need some MTA for receiving mail.

However, in the very simpliest of set-ups, you could not worry about
queuing and off-line sending, by continuing to have your mail clients send
mail directly via your ISPs out-going mail hub.

If you don't use exim for sending mail, then it is likely that the default
exim configuration will very nearly work (all you should need to do is
set local_domains to list all the various identities of your local
machine).

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg