Re: [Exim] Cannot route to ...

Autor: Yann Golanski
A: David Saez Padros
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Cannot route to ...
On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:59:34AM +0100, David Saez Padros wrote:
> > Contacts whoever is in charge of the DNS of the domain that you are
> > trying to reach. And ask them to fix it!
>
> It seems simple, but this solution will require that I spent my time
> contacting dns administrators and asking them to fix it, when it will be
> more simple to just configure exim to retry. The fact is that my users
> complain to me because my mail server refuses to send email to EXISTENT
> email addresses. If you add the time I had to explain that to my users
> and the time I will have to spent to contact the dns administartors, I
> will be all the mornign working for that, every day. No sense.

That's what admins are paid for I'm afraid. The systems need to work in
the proper way, not tweaking things that fail safe against the total
inability of others to run systems. If this occurs as much as you imply
it does, then you have a HUGE DNS problem in your region and fixing it
may just be important... Unless you want to be black holed that is ;>

Are you sure the problem is at their end of the DNS? If you are using a
cacheDNS server (and if you're not, then you must have bandwidth to
waste/spare) maybe the time to live of your server is too long?

Best way is to use dig and different servers to see where the DNS is
coming from. Maybe the source of the DNS has two broken servers?

As a side note, you asking here does take time out of your work, and it
takes time out of mine to replay to you.

> BTW, when I used sendmail I don't have this problem.

Really? When Sendmail gets a permanant error, it retries one more
time??????... Don't think so. Maybe it is using a different DNS server?

> > No. you definitly *want* routing errors to fail.
>
> Sorry, but I don't want it to fail immediatelly, I want it to retry at
> least one time. That's my question, it's possible to do that ? I don't
> want to discuss if it's ok for you or not, I just want to know how can
> I setup exim to do that.

RTFM: fall back. If you cann't route, send it to another server that
will try to route it. It's annal and will probably use the same DNS
server and thus will give you the same answer.

However, it is a stupid behaviour and you should not allow your servers
to do this. It will come back and bite you, but why should I care?

--
Dr Yann Golanski                                      Senior Developer
         Please use PGP: http://www.kierun.org/pgp/key-planet