Re: [Exim] Submission port

Autor: Leonardo Boselli
A: Peter Galbavy, exim-users
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Submission port
This differentiation should be made to allow for different conditions.
As a guideline port 25 should be set to be the fastest possible,
without checks, but allowing only mail from other MTA (that is
doing only deliveries)
port 587 would insted do a complete check of mail, inclusive if
possible of misconfigurations (such refusing non existent return
address or ambiguous such such user@domain instead of
user@??? ).
What io asked was also a desiderata for exim4: an option to use
different config options according the port where the message arrive
(other than using two completely different istances)

On 15 Jan 2001, at 10:03, Peter Galbavy wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 11:37:39PM +0100, Leonardo Boselli wrote: >
> How to implement submission port, 587, while retaining operation > on
> port 25 ? It is truly necessary ? What are the advantages on > AUTH on
> port 25 ?
> Sorry if I am not up to speed on real or de facto standards, but if
> port 587 is for submissions with authentication, then this is
> "security through obscurity" and is always bound to fail. Maybe I have
> the wrong end of the stick here...

Leonardo Boselli (NIT)
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze