Re: [Exim] Rewriting of addresses (at SMTP time)

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
Para: Andromeda
CC: Exim
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Rewriting of addresses (at SMTP time)
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Andromeda wrote:

> >impossible to get your users to use AUTH SMTP?. Most clients will store
>
> Yes it is. I have people who use anything from Unix (Pine, Mutt, Netscape)
> to Mac (Outlook, Outlook Express) to Windows (Pegasus, Eudora, Outlook &
> Co., Netscape).

Pine, Netscape, Outhouse, Express Outhouse all allow AUTH SMTP. I assume
that Mutt, Pegasus and Eudora do too.

> Some of the clients are ANCIENT and don't support SMTP AUTH. And yes, I
> need to make provision for those.

There must be a point at which you tell people that if they are to connect
from arbitrary IP addresses, they need to upgrade to a more recent version
of the same MUA. I believe that every client you listed is being
maintained.

If these people with ancient clients are connecting from static address,
you could always list those.

> Preferably I want to use something that only users would know that
> gets rewritten, perhaps a prefix or suffix of some sort in the
> $localpart...

That's an idea. You could effectively put a "password" into the addresses
that they are supposed to use. You need to make sure that the clients
don't leak those with addresses in things like Reply-to or Sender, or
whatever.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg