Re: [Exim] virtual headaches

Top Pagina
Auteur: Jeffrey Goldberg
Aan: Andromeda
CC: Exim
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] virtual headaches
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Andromeda wrote:

> At 10:35 10/01/2001 -0800, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> >so far. It will take a few minutes to see if I get the mail.
> >(If it bounces, the bounce should go to <andromeda@???>
> >which is the address I forged.
>
> Well... it's not forged, now is it.

Did you, Androdeda, send the message? No. I (Jeffrey Goldberg) did,
using your email address. It is forged.

> It's an address that exists :)

Spammers do forge existing addresses. They often forge addresses from the
site they are relaying off of. Your (and presumably many other valid
addresses in your localdomains) are not secret.

> - One unfortunate flaw in this system. There's not really much I can
> do about this unless I take the system apart and make people use
> POP-before-SMTP.

I am afraid that that (or AUTH) is what you will have to do.

Sorry to be one of the bareres of bad news. But you really do have to
close that down, and soon.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg