Re: [Exim] virtual headaches

Top Pagina
Auteur: Dave C.
Aan: Andromeda
CC: Exim
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] virtual headaches
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Andromeda wrote:

> At 09:39 10/01/2001 -0500, Dave C. wrote:
> >Erm, yeah, that verifies that the MAIL FROM command they send has your
> >domain in it.
>
> Actually no. It verifies the existence of the address in my virtual tables.
> It may accept the mail at first, but it WILL reject at the end of the message.
>
> >Anyone can do this, and it is common for spammers who want to relay
> >through your server to put "MAIL FROM:<randomstuffhere@???"
>
> Try it :) - Be my guest :)

I just did. You are an open relay. (Yes, this records my origin IP
address, but if I was a spammer using a throwaway dialup account, why
would I care?)

Since we are all professionals here, I will give you time to fix it
before submitting you to ORBS.

# telnet htmlworkshop.net 25
Trying 196.22.194.152...
Connected to metro.htmlworkshop.com (196.22.194.152).
Escape character is '^]'.
220-Welcome! This system does not accept Unsolicited Commercial Email and will
220-blacklist offenders through RBL and our internal list. Have a nice
day!
220-
220 fusion.eons.net ESMTP Exim 3.20 Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:52:42 +0200
helo hal.microwave.com
250 fusion.eons.net Hello root at hal.microwave.com [216.46.200.94]
mail from: postmaster@???
250 <postmaster@???> is syntactically correct
rcpt to: try1@???
250 <try1@???> verified
data
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
From: postmaster@???
To: try1@???

the server htmlworkshop.net is an open relay

.
250 OK id=14GNYg-000Muj-00
quit
quit
221 fusion.eons.net closing connection
#

the server htmlworkshop.net is an open relay