Re: [Exim] How to mark authenticated senders in the header?

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: j.linn
CC: michael, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] How to mark authenticated senders in the header?
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, j.linn wrote:

> I believe that RFC822 meant that the software inserting the originator
> should ensure that somewhere in the header there is an authenticated
> address.

Yes, I think that's it. When RFC 822 was written, the hosts people were
using to connect to the net were multi-user systems where users had to
quote passwords in order to log in. So you always had a password-
authenticated user to blame.

> The FROM header is a user field and can have multiple recipients so may or
> may not be authentic. The system should check this and, if not, stamp
> the message with a SENDER field. The FROM header is a user or system field
> whereas the SENDER header is for system use only.

Yes. The sort of thinking at the time is shown in examples like this: