Re: [Exim] Configuration error for message_fillter

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Philip_Khuu
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Configuration error for message_fillter
On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 Philip_Khuu@??? wrote:

> Successfully tested my filter file with
> sendmail -bf myfilter. It worked fine.

Looks like a user filter. Fine.

> The my filter file as follow:
>
> # exim filter
> if $header_to: contain "abc.com" then
> save /export/home/philipk/archive_folder
> unseen deliver philip_khuu@???
>
> endif
>
> finish
>
> After successfully test on command line, I implemented this filter into
> /etc/exim.conf
> at Directors Configuration section as message_filter = /usr/exim/myfilter. I then

Lots of problems here. (1) message_filter goes in the *main* section of
the configuration (which is why you got the error message). But, more
importantly, (2) message_filter sets up a *system filter*, which is run
once per message, for every message. Is this what you want? Do you want
every message that has "abc.com" in the To: header (regardless of who it
is from or to) to get handled in this way? If so, then put
message_filter in the main configuration, and add message_filter_user to
supply a user for it to run the delivery.

However, I suspect you really want this done only for incoming messages
addressed to you. That it, you want a *user filter*. If so, put your
filter in a file called .forward in your home directory, and ensure that
the "filter" option is enabled on the userforward director.