Re: [Exim] Exim 4 ideas.

Autor: Vadim Vygonets
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim 4 ideas.
Quoth George Schlossnagle on Sat, Jan 06, 2001:
> Certainly enough OSs support it to make it a viable option _along with_
> compiling in statically - sorta like apache or php.
>
> Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> > I'm sure not all OSes have on-demand loading of random shared
> > libraries. Some have no dynamically linked shared libraries at
> > all. Maybe there should be just a mechanism to write your own
> > module and compile it into Exim.

But the question is how badly we need such things in shared
libraries that we want to link with Exim. And how secure the
implementation will be (all sorts of attacks are possible when a
program permits loading of arbitrary shared libraries).

Implementing hooks for functions to be compiled in statically is,
IMO, simpler, more portable, safer, and exposes the program to
the very same bugs as shared libraries would (such as memory
leaks). And not much is lost.

Vadik.

--
Bell Labs Unix -- Reach out and grep someone.