Re: [Exim] Exim 4 wishlist

Autor: Kai Henningsen
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim 4 wishlist
ph10@??? (Philip Hazel) wrote on 05.01.01 in <Pine.SOL.4.21.0101051626480.32-100000@???>:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Alain Williams wrote:
>
> > I noticed recently that multibyte DNS entries are now being issued -
> > somewhere in the far East. I don't know if this will cause Exim a problem,
> > but it would be nice if this were explicitly supported in Exim 4. Ditto
> > for multibyte local part (usernames).
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "multibyte DNS entries" or
> "multibyte local parts". What have I missed?

Not much. There is no standard, but there are several competing encoding
methods.

Therefore, I wouldn't want to build support into a MTA just yet.

Given that 99.9% of the Internet's installed MTAs won't support this
anyway for the next few years, people will have to have ASCII equivalents
for their domain names for use in email in any case.

MfG Kai