Re: [Exim] Using Exim on a large volume fallback MX

Top Pagina
Auteur: Jeffrey Goldberg
Aan: Nigel Metheringham
CC: copito, exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Using Exim on a large volume fallback MX
On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> There are a few other things you can do but this has worked well in a
> previously built system.

I believe that freeserve has used some additional intellegence.  My
reasons for suspecting this is
   (a) I've never seen a single piece of spam out of them
   (b) As a former (I've moved of of the UK) freeserve customer, I found
       that some of my legitimate, but formally suspicious, mail was
       delayed, presumably frozen, on a POL server for a few hours.
       Those messages had "forged" headers (from my work address) and
       were Bcc'ed to almost 100 addresses.

Unfortunately there has to be some "security through obscurity" with such
filters, because if the bad guys learned to precise parameters they could
fly just under them. But because it is in one ISPs interest to help
another prevent spam, they might be willing to share technology privately.

> The one thing you need to do is control the dialups - otherwise all
> you can do is play whack-a-mole with the spammers.

I completely concur.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg