RE: [Exim] Planning for Exim 4

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Bernard Stern
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Asunto: RE: [Exim] Planning for Exim 4
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:48:47 +0000 (GMT) Philip Hazel wrote:

> I have been giving some thought to the choice between the "ACL" and
> "AND/OR" syntax for checking incoming recipients. The following seem to
> me to be relevant to the choice:

> 1. Which will be easier for the beginner? (Experienced people will cope
> either way.)

it is probably more natural for the genuine beginner to be
confronted to the more classic AND and OR structure, since this
kind of structure has a more widespread usage as the ACL kind
(to my knowledge at least).

> 2. Is one easier to implement than the other? Would one be faster than
> the other?

don't know :-)

> 3. Does one offer more or better facilities than the other?

This is a difficult question. But as soon as the config gets
a little more complex, the AND and OR kind of structure gets
very difficult to maintain, legibility is difficult, and is
prone to errors. I think the ACL structure, maybe not as
'natural' as the other one, reveals its strengths in those
more complex configs: better legibility and maintenance.

> 4. Is there overwhelming user support for one or the other?

mmhhh... from the public reactions on this list, ACL got
better marks so far :-)

My vote for ACL.

(...)

> My current feeling is that the "ACL" offers significant advantages.
> (Probably, it should be called a "recipient control list".)

mmhh... not sure if this is a good idea, it also controls
the senders, doesn't it? so senders-recipient control list is
not good either... let's keep it at ACL, since after all
it does exactly control the access (in a broad sense).

> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

Bernard Stern, SWITCH

        mail: SWITCH Head Office       a          Tel: +41 1 268 1520
              Limmatquai 138           n          Fax: +41 1 268 1568
              CH-8001 Zurich           d        e-mail: stern@???