[Exim] Log rotation in exim.conf

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Paul Makepeace
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Log rotation in exim.conf
At least with Debian the log rotation duties are handed over to savelog
who's invoked in a /etc/cron.daily/exim script. This is quite a traditional
unix-y way of doing things. The problem since these parameters are
hard-coded into the script comes if the default number of files to keep
changes or it's only desire to rotate weekly or whatever. When the package
is upgraded these script hacks are typically lost, and worse often silently.

I realize this is arguably an issue with packaging in general and not exim
itself but I'd like to raise it since it's an issue and there are debian
folk here(?). Besides some interesting precedents have been set with Apache
et al.

Here are some suggestions:

a) make the daemon rotate the logs using internal code, obviously configured
in exim.conf.
b) put the name of the rotation program in exim.conf with config parameters
(e.g. a command line and when to run it)
c) simply have the configuration valid in exim.conf that exim ignores and
some external program parses.

Given that there is already log directives in exim.conf I don't think any of
the above are that radical. *Especially* since there are already log
directives we already have some unfortunate coupling between savelog
invocations and exim's log filename format (e.g. changing mainlog to
main.log breaks the rotating).

The real aim is to have exim and the log rotation able to discover these
parameters from a configuration file.

Merry New Millennium,
Paul