RE: [Exim] Exim 4 ideas.

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: brian.wilkinson
Para: exim-users
Asunto: RE: [Exim] Exim 4 ideas.
Could the 'Secondary queue' suggestion be extended to improve Exim's
handling of mail for dial-up hosts.

Currently mail for dial-up domains is stored externally to Exim. When an
ETRN command is received, a non-Exim delivery mechanism is triggered to
deliver the mail stored for the specified domain direct to its mail host.
This avoids a complete queue run every time an ETRN command is received.
Big disadvantage is that the mail is no longer in the Exim queue and thus
delivery is totally dependent on the non-Exim delivery mechanism.

If Exim supported multiple secondary queues, mail for dial-up domains could
be moved to dedicated queues (ie one queue per dial-up domain). When an
ETRN command is received, a queue run would be performed on the queue for
the specified domain. The main queue would not be impacted. No external
storage or delivery mechanisms would be required, and queued mail would
still be subject to normal Exim retries rather than delivery being totally
dependent on receiving an ETRN command.

I know this suggestion is a departure from the current single-queue
architecture, but I would be interested in the opinions of others. I guess
it may be difficult to implement but it certainly has the potential to
simplify our dial-up domain delivery configuration.

Regards

Brian Wilkinson