Re: [Exim] Planning for Exim 4

Autor: Tony Crawford
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Planning for Exim 4
Gee I'm glad people are talking about newbie matters here.
That's about the only thing I'm qualified to comment on.

Yann Golanski wrote (on 4 Jan 2001, at 11:11):

> ACLs are harder for beginners but will make the config more
> readable. AND/OR will make it easier for biginners but will
> make some configs horrible.

Philip mentioned that the newbie's efforts to learn ACL syntax
will benefit him/her in other applications. I'd like to invert
that argument to the same end: I had to learn comparable filter-
list syntax to work my MUA and to set up IP firewalling before
coming to Exim.

I also agree with Philip that the Boolean algebra gets very
convoluted rather sooner than later. Recently I was translating
software documentation in which a "simple" example was
equivalent to a null set, and the author's first "corrected"
example was no better.

Also, consider the situation of reading the debug log to see
which test was responsible for accepting or denying a message. I
think ACL makes the job simpler all around.

> > I always was worried that the AND/OR mechanism could get very
> > complicated, and this is beginning to look very messy, IMHO (and we
> > haven't included any RBL lists yet).
>
> Yes it will... which might be a reason not to use it.

Aha, I'm preaching to the converted. OK, time for me to lurk
again too.

Tony

-- Tony Crawford
-- tc@???