[Exim] Virus scanning architecture

Autor: Elena Blanco
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Virus scanning architecture
Could I please pick your collective brains on an aspect of virus scanning?

I have been asked to provide a virus scanning service that is available
for use by any mail servers in the Oxford domain that want to use it.
Now it's pretty straight forward to get messages into a virus-sweeping
box and run the anti-virus software on each message BUT I have a
problem re-injecting the scanned message for delivery. The requirement
is to send the scanned message back to the host that sent it for virus
scanning in the first place (with an appropriate header indicating that
it has been scanned obviously). Since all but 4 of the mail servers
that can potentially use this service are servers that are NOT under my
control, how do I get the virus-scanning box to send the message back
to the last server that appears in the received headers so that that
host is responsible for spooling and delivering the clean message? Are
there any compelling reasons not to use this kind of architecture other
than the fact that it sounds hideous?

Elena
~ Elena Blanco            Oxford University Computing Services,
~                      13 Banbury Road, Oxford, England.
~ elena.blanco@???    Tel: +44 1865 273250