Re: [Exim] Re: [Exim-Announce] Planning for Exim 4

Góra strony
Autor: Yann Golanski
Dla: Philip Hazel
CC: Marc Haber, exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] Re: [Exim-Announce] Planning for Exim 4
On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 11:49:25AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > > Up to 32 `private' domain lists can be defined.
> >
> > Please make this a macro to increase at compile time.
>
> Several people have objected. I specified 32 so that I could use a bit
> mask to remember whether a particular list had been matched or not, for
> efficient re-testing while routing an address.
>
> Are people really going to use more than 32 of these? Or is this just a
> knee-jerk "don't set hard limits" reaction? I thought half a dozen might
> be what people actually used, so I was planning on implementing using a
> simple linear list. If 32 is too small, then I will have to use a more
> efficient way of storing them.

Hard limite are generally a bad thing in my experience, so I would go
against it.

I can see that I would use something like 4 or 5 on very large
systems and not more. Still, you never know what's behind those sales's
people eyes...

> > But probably changing this into a small, control process
> > running as root and doing work in non-setuid binaries that are only
> > invoked with user privileges would be too big a change.
>
> And it would introduce a bottleneck - the "small control process". One
> of the reasons for Exim's efficiency is the fact that it does not push
> everything through a single central process (also a single point of
> failure).

Don't do that... no central process is good.

--
Dr Yann Golanski                                      Senior Developer
         Please use PGP: http://www.kierun.org/pgp/key-planet