Re: [Exim] Planning for Exim 4

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Yann Golanski
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Planning for Exim 4
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Yann Golanski wrote:

> Where are you getting $home from in userforward?

From check_localuser.

> Could there be an option that Exim *never* runs as root.

There is already. See "security = unprivileged".

> How about adding an option that will count (in a hint database) how many
> messages are delivered by a host to your machine? If these is bigger
> than a certain value, then freese or/and bounce those mails as spam.
>
> For example, if a host sends my mail server 1000 emails in 10 mintues, I
> want to freese all mails from it. If it sends 10,000 of those in 10
> mins, I want to drop all connection from it.

That's 10,000 access to a hints database in 10 minutes ... 1000 per
minute. Don't you think that might be a bottleneck? However, if you are
using a daemon, there's no need - there's only one daemon, so it can
count in memory. Hmm. No. It can count *connections* but not *messages*.
See the existing smtp_accept_max_per_host option. But maybe some shared
memory could be used for counting messages.

> Again a hint database maybe usefull? ... if Exim discovers that there is
> a full mailbox, right the localpart (whatever) to the full_mbox.*db.

And then you modify all your MUAs to remove this hint when they empty
the mailbox??????

> > Internals
>
> I am intrested... ;> who said I was sane again?

I'll send you my scrappy list (written for me, not for the world).