[Exim] maximizing mail thruput ?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: mark david mcCreary
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] maximizing mail thruput ?
I could use some insights into tuning Exim for maximum use of bandwidth. I
have an Intel box running Linux 2.2 and Exim 3.20. This box only delivers
email, and has DNS onboard, in either the form of Bind or DJBDNS. I have
hundreds of messages in the queue, and each message has 100 recipients.

The problem is that as thruput goes up, the load factor climbs
dramitacally, hitting the deliver_queue_load_max threshold, which then
starts abandoning queue runners.

The relevant configuration paramters seem to be

    exim -qq3m

    deliver_queue_load_max = 18
    remote_max_parallel = 7

    smtp:
           driver = smtp
           batch_max = 5
           max_rcpt = 1

I am assuming that the more receipents at the same domain in each batch of
100 email addresses, the better.

I am guessing that the excess load is being caused by Exim passing open
connections to another message in the queue awaiting delivery with
receipents at the same MX host. The qq option causing domain name lookups
might also be working against me.

Would I be better off to increase the remote_max_parallel argument, and
eliminate the batch_max feature ?

Or can I just increase the load factor to 100 and let it ride ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mark