Re: Was Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
Para: Peter Galbavy
CC: EXIM users list
Asunto: Re: Was Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> Given the regular (and valid) changes to default values in minor releases,
> would it be a good idea to have a "need_version" or "for_version" setting in
> the config file so that if and when someone upgrades, they are reminded that
> a config file may not work on a later version.

Since this is only being considered for upgrades, I'd
suggest it be a separate program (so it is not done *every*
time exim starts up). Maybe an "exim_lint" could point
out things like this, and cover parsing of string expansions
as well, which have tripped people up, point out things
like "host lists with names in require DNS lookups" where
that applies, etc.

The challenge in writing it will be to cope with all the
change data, since one could be upgrading from a very
old Exim, and maybe upgrading to a not-quite-latest version.

    Hugh
    hgs@???