[Exim] SMTP service not found error

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: John Horne
A: Exim Users List
Asunto: [Exim] SMTP service not found error
Hello,

We're running Exim 3.20 on a Sun Solaris 7 system, and received the
following error message in our panic.log yesterday:

2000-12-04 12:25:26 142udt-0001kD-00 TCP service "smtp" not found
2000-12-04 12:25:26 142udt-0001kD-00 TCP service "smtp" not found
2000-12-04 12:25:26 142udt-0001kD-00 TCP service "smtp" not found
[snipped]
2000-12-04 12:25:27 142udt-0001kD-00 TCP service "smtp" not found

As can be seen this only lasted for a second or so. The main.log had:

2000-12-04 12:25:27 142udt-0001kD-00 == gsamaras@???
T=local_smtp defer (-1): smtp transport process returned non-zero status
0x0100: exit code 1

The above message appeared many times, but at the time a message was being
delivered to a list of about 30 or 40 users, most of which were failing as
unknown users.

However, the panic log message seems to come from readconf.c (line 2446):

  else
      {
      struct servent *smtp_service =
        getservbyname(configured_smtp_service, "tcp");
      if (smtp_service == NULL)
        log_write(0, LOG_PANIC_DIE|LOG_CONFIG, "TCP service \"%s\" not
                                                                  found",
          configured_smtp_service);
      smtp_port = ntohs(smtp_service->s_port);
      }
    }

However again, this bit of code is within an if block which starts off as:

/* If there wasn't a -oX option and daemon_smtp_port was set, find the
port number from it. */

  if (daemon_listen && smtp_port < 0 && configured_smtp_service != NULL)
    {

Well we do run a background exim daemon, there was no '-oX' option, but we do
not use the 'daemon_smtp_port' configuration option. So as far as I can see
this block of code should never have been entered. At this point I am now a
bit stuck :-)

So, anyone any ideas? The mail service I should add carried on fine a second
or so after the error messages appeared. No one was playing with the
configure file (we'd have seen a SIGHUP in the logs I assume for any change
to take effect). The /etc/services file is never touched - no need to, and
yes, 'smtp' is in it (we'd have no mail at all if it wasn't! :-) ) For those
with a good memory, yes I did report something similar a long time ago now
(probably about a year or so). We found no reason for that instance either.

Thanks,

John.

E-mail: jhorne@???