Re: [Exim] Logging

Autor: Yann Golanski
A: Warren Baker
CC: Yann Golanski, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Logging
On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 03:41:01PM +0200, Warren Baker wrote:
> > If you want logs on one central server, then why don't you mount a NFS
> > file store and write logs there. Or scp logs to a central log
> > repository?
>
> Thats another option which I was considering.
> We will be using a NFS mount anyway.

*grin*

What backend solution? We found thgat NetApp was very good (but
expensive).

You could pre-process some of the logs and keep those as archives...

> > As for log searches, how many do you *really* do?
>
> Our support dept. relies heavly on Exims logs when it comes to supporting
> ETRN clients.

For example of the above, do a grep ETERN logfile-date > etern-date.log once
the logs are rotated and then search the etern-date.log file for speed
etc...

Sure, not uptodate info, but then you can always have a look at the
`real' log file.

> > Perl and NFS/scp would be what I would suggest. It's easier to
> > administer as well.
>
> Great stuff, thanks for the help!

You're welcome.

--
Dr Yann Golanski                                      Senior Developer
         Please use PGP: http://www.kierun.org/pgp/key-planet