[tavin@swissmail.org: Re: [Exim] SSL for Outgoing SMTP]

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Vinay Mohta
A: exim-users
Asunto: [tavin@swissmail.org: Re: [Exim] SSL for Outgoing SMTP]
Hi,

I received a personal response from another user that I
thought might be useful to others. I didn't check
the archive to see if someone has posted this solution
before.

Hope it helps
Vinay
Vinay,

I'm also using exim v3.12 from the Debian distro. I have
figured out a way to make exim use ssl over outgoing
SMTP connections. It involves using a 3rd party program
called "stone", which is also a Debian package (get
stone-ssl).

Stone is a TCP/IP packet repeater. Basically, you just
configure your "remote_smtp" router and transport in exim
to deliver to some unused port on localhost. Then you run
stone-ssl to connect that port to port 465 on the SMTP
server, ssl-encrypting the connection for you.

This is the command line I use:
/usr/bin/stone -l my.smtp.server.com:465/ssl 99901 &

(where 99901 is the port on localhost I've got exim sending
its "outgoing" SMTP to).

I'm not a member of the exim-users list, but feel free to
post this to the list if you think anyone would be
interested.

Also, I realize this doesn't address the RFC standard where
you're supposed to connect in the clear on port 25 and
negotiate the encrypted connection from there. I'm not
sure if this method could be adapted to work that way.. it's
not an issue for me since my server listens on port 465.

hope this helps
-Tavin Cole