Re: [Exim] Canned clue?

Autor: Chris Thompson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Canned clue?
"Tabor J. Wells" <twells@???> writes:
[...]
> And unfortunately it doesn't even help sometimes. My most recent attempt
> at educating the clueless met with resounding failure:
>
> > Yes we do refuse mail from <>. There is no reason to accept it from an
> > unknown sender.
> >
> > Also if you would please notice the reason given is that we are trying
> > to reduce unwanted spam. If you are trying to send mail to us that is
> > unsolicited spam mail then I am very glad it is working and has stopped
> > you.
> >
> > Have a nice day.

It's probably impossible to cause such people to alter their behaviour
without causing them pain (i.e. blocking their domain), but maybe a last
ditch attempt at reason would be to refer them to RFC 2505 (aka BCP 30)
"Anti-Spam Recommendations for SMTP MTAs", section 2 (6a) & 2.6.1, which
is quite firm on the subject. I notice that Philip's canned message
doesn't use that particular missile.

If you did want to move on to blocking their domain until they mend their
ways, then exim 3.20's sender_verify_callback_domains might come in useful.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk