Re: [Exim] Wishlist item..

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Dave C.
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Wishlist item..
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Dave C. wrote:

> While considering enabling "dns_again_means_nonexist", it occured to me
> that while one would want to retry for a little while on legitimate
> temporary DNS failures, a lot of spam-domains have permanent DNS
> failures.. It would be nice to have a "dns_again_means_nonexist_after",
> which would work similar to the "ignore_errmsg_errors_after"
> setting.

This is not a small job, and I'm not sure it's worth it. The reason it is
not small is that a whole new mechanism would have to be invented for
remembering that a DNS lookup had one of these temporary failures. There
is no such mechanism at the moment. So a whole new hints file for this
would need to be created and maintained.

Nevertheless, I'll put this on the list. I have some long-term ideas
which might make this kind of thing easier in future. Details
forthcoming in a month or so when I write my promised "white paper".