RE: [Exim] MX records

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users-admin
Subject: RE: [Exim] MX records
On 28-Nov-00 at 16:02:19 sys044@??? wrote:
> I have had a user-reported problems mailing the following
>     user@???
> The nslookup for that address gives

> mail.ap-hm.fr preference = 5, mail exchanger = clust1.ap-hm.fr
> mail.ap-hm.fr preference = 10, mail exchanger = clust2.ap-hm.fr
> mail.ap-hm.fr preference = 15, mail exchanger = timomal2.ap-hm.fr
> mail.ap-hm.fr preference = 20, mail exchanger = mail.ap-hm.fr
> mail.ap-hm.fr preference = 0, mail exchanger = srvmail.ap-hm.fr
> mail.ap-hm.fr internet address = 194.199.241.2
>
> the MX records pref 0,5,10,15 all fail to lookup and the pref 20 is to
> itself an A record. This address accepts mail (telnet port 25).
>
> The user claims that it gets through from an ISP but not here, so does
> EXIM do anything that would stop it working e.g. limit the number of MX
> records tried.

I just sent a dummy message to 'mail.ap-hm.fr' and it came back with an
'unknown user' error message (if my French is correct :-)) However, that
message passed through my Exim MTA, and the test Exim MTA. So I'd say, no,
Exim is doing nothing to prevent it. However, the new 3.20 version does
limit the number of MX entries (or rather IP addresses) tried I gather, but
by default this is 5 (so no effect in your case). It is configurable, but
you'll need to check the ChangeLog/NewStuff for the option! What do the
exim logs say about mail to the site?

John.