Re: [Exim] <IP address> does not match any IP address for <f…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Paul Spandler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] <IP address> does not match any IP address for <fqdn>
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Paul Spandler wrote:

> There's no wildcard in my hosts_reject and rhymer.cogsci.ed.ac.uk is not
> in the RBL. Is there some directive that I've missed?

Well, you seem to have left

host_lookup = 0.0.0.0/0

which will cause a reverse lookup for every incoming call.

Very strange on the face of it. Indeed, particularly odd that it is
giving both IP addresses and names as "aliases". This is the output of a
call to gethostbyaddr(), which would normally give just names as
aliases, I think. Which OS are you using?

However, I'm not sure it's worth investigating, because the code that
used to do this check has been removed. The comment in the 3.20 source
says:

/* At this point we used to verify that a forward lookup did indeed correspond
to the address we first had, but it seems that gethostbyaddr() does this check
itself. So rather than waste time checking the name and all its aliases, we now
rely on that. */