Re: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN (SOLVED)

Author: Moritz Schulte
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN (SOLVED)
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> writes:

Hi,

> > Well, I wrote a small C program, which calls gethostbyname() with my
> > gateway's hostname "orion.sc" as parameter. This code doesn't
> > establishs a internet connections. So, i think, Exim does something
> > else than just calling gethostbyname().
>
> No, it doesn't. Or at least, it shouldn't.

Here it did something else. In host_find_byname there was a
check, wether HAVE_IPV6 is defined. If it is defined,
gethostbyname2(host->name, af) is used, if it is not,
gethostbyname(host->name) is used.

So, i guessed that gethostbyname2() failed, because it couldn't find a
IPv6 address in /etc/hosts. I'm not familiar with IPv6, so I'm not
sure, wether this is correct...after adding '::1 orion.sc orion'
to my hosts, gethostbyname2() doesn't trigger a internet connection
anymore. :-)

        Thanks,
    moritz
--