[Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN

Author: Moritz Schulte
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN
Hi,

I couldn't figure out what's wrong with my Exim configuration, so I'm
asking here...

My LAN consists of two hosts (both running Debian 2.2 with Exim
3.12-10): orion.sc (192.168.0.1), which is the Gateway and
gryffindor.sc (192.168.0.2). orion should be the SMTP smarthost for
gryffindor, it should forward mail To: *.sc (local mail) to these
hosts and it should forward outgoing mail to another smarthost (on the
internet). I don't have a local DNS server, the /etc/hosts on both
hosts contains these entries:

192.168.0.1    orion.sc    orion
192.168.0.2    gryffindor.sc    gryffindor

I can reach the hosts with their names without problem.

My router section in /etc/exim.conf on gryffindor looks like this:

# Send all mail to a smarthost

smarthost:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = "* orion.sc byname"

end

I *wrote* "byname", which should tell Exim to use gethostbyname() to
find the IP address of orion and not "bydns_*".... BUT, Exim *still*
makes DNS lookups for orion.sc, which is very annoying, 'cause this
establishs a connection to the internet.

It fixes the problem if i set the route_list to "* 192.168.0.1 byname"
- but I don't understand why "* orion.sc byname" doesn't work. Well,
it works, if I remove the default gateway on gryffindor pointing to
orion, but sure that's not the solution.

The router section on orion looks like this:

# Deliver mail to the local net via gethostbyname(), not via DNS

lan:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = "*.sc $domain byname"

# Send all mail to a smarthost

smarthost:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = "* smtprelay.t-online.de bydns_a"

end

Here's the same problem; Exim establishs a internet connection because
of a DNS lookup.

In both cases, the mail gets delivered correctly, but it should work
without establishing a internet connection.

Can somebody please tell me what am I missing?

    Thank you,
    moritz

--
Moritz Schulte <moritz@???> http://hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de/~moritz/