[Exim] Re: Message size limit / multiple transports

Author: Richard Gilbert
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Message size limit / multiple transports
> One of our users tried to send a very large message (> 9 MBytes) to four
> recipients. Two were local and two were remote and would be delivered
> by two different transports, local_smtp and remote_smtp. The former has
> message_size_limit = 4M but the latter has no limit. (The idea being
> that it is up to other sites to decide what limits they wish to impose.)
> There is no global message_size_limit. I would have expected the message
> to be delivered to the two remote addresses but not the two local
> addresses, but the message failed to all four:
>
> [Discussion with Philip Hazel omitted]
>
> > They all went out (or rather didn't go out) on local_smtp...

<embarassed>

I have recently added virus scanning using Tom Kistner's exiscan on a
third mailhub (which works very well). Messages with attachments are
routed explicitly via artemis.shef.ac.uk and so use the local_smtp
transport to get there. This illustrates that one cannot always trust the
results of exim -bt. I am sorry to waste your time with this one.

</embarassed>

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services