Re: [Exim] Accounts and Domains

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Buchholz
CC: Exim-Liste
Subject: Re: [Exim] Accounts and Domains
On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Daniel Buchholz wrote:

> We host some Domains on a machine. All user accounts are standard unix
> accounts. Direct login is not possible. To avoid conflicts with two people
> having the same last name i build accounts like [first letter of first
> name][last name]. So my name is Daniel Buchholz, my account is 'dbuchholz'.

Do you know how many John Smiths there are in the world? Sooner or later
you will have a problem.

> But the problem is:
> - Mail directly to acount names is possible (which is not critica I think?)
> - Mail to [accountname]@[some other hosted domain for which this local part
> should not work] and that I definitely don´t want to see.

If you want to keep domains entirely separate, then you must keep the
lists of users entirely separate. Do not set up standard Unix accounts.
Use independent lists of users for each domain. (Then you can even have
two JSmith users, as long as they are at different domains.)