[Exim] Off topic: How do you deal with MLM abuse?

Author: michael
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] filter user and home-directories
Subject: [Exim] Off topic: How do you deal with MLM abuse?
As this is off topic, I ask to send replies right to me. I will summarize
the answers, if there is interest.

We all know that much spam looks like a newsletter/mailing list, that you
subscribed. Recently, I saw many real mailing lists that don't feature
address verification. That makes them suitable for abuse and it annoys
other people, if someone types in a wrong address and the victim suddenly
is subscribed to the list. It is getting an increasingly annoying
problem here and the responsible admins refuse to verify addresses,
because supposedly customers have a problem to answer the subscription
request mail. The number of these lists seems to explode.

How do you deal with this problem? Is there a recommended practice for
MLMs, possibly even described in a RFC? Something that can be printed out
to hit it on certain postmasters heads (hard)? :-/

Michael