Re: [Exim] Inetd vs Daemon ?

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Benj
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Inetd vs Daemon ?
On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 02:17:39PM +0100, Benj wrote:
> Hi, after looking in my inetd.conf file that contains this line (smtp
> stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs) it appears I have
> exim running with Inetd instead of the  daemon.

> If what I understood is correct, having exim running as a daemon is better,
> because it allows some control that inetd don't allow.

It's all pretty much of a sameness. I'd rather use a deamon because then
I can kill it and mail stops getting in (usefull when the config is
broken, or the server is under DOS).

> So to start the damon, I must do: /etc/init.d/exim start is this correct ?
> But before doing this, how do I shut down exim inetd ?

There is something else you *really* need to do and it's to read the
following sites:
    http://wks.uts.ohio-state.edu/unix_course/unix.html
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/
    http://wks.uts.ohio-state.edu/sysadm_course/sysadm.html

Unless you actully read those, then you'll always get the RTFM (Read The
Fucking Manual) as most answers are there.

As to your query, I suggests you comment the lines with exim and restart
inetd. Then check if you do indeed have a /etc/init.d/exim script and
modify it to fit your system (frequency of queu runs, etc....).

--
        Please use PGP when replying to this message
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer