RE: [Exim] Exim, MySQL and multiple Servers

Author: Søren P. Skou
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Exim, MySQL and multiple Servers
Allo.. (Nice to see that the mail wasn't formatted in HTML after all.. :)
(Next to figure out how to wrap at 75)

> It's not a good idea to set the local_domains for domains that are not
> really on this server...

Nops, I know that, but.. Well, I have different suggested solutions to this
one problem none of which I like..

A. Decentral MySQL - Solution
Central MySQL with All information including which MX it belongs to.
Decentral MySQL on each Mailhost that contains ONLY the information for
that specific host.

The decentral MySQL fetches updates from the main server, on a timed
basis.

B. Central Spool queue
All Mailhosts connects to a central MySQL and on top of that has a common
spoolqueue.

C. Central Mysql, Delivery based on MX
All Mailhosts connects to a central MySQL, and based on MX decides wether
this is Local or Non-Local.

D. Central MySQL, One table pr. Mailhost
All mailhosts connects to the central MySQL, but each have their own table
in the database.

> set only the domains local wo really _are_ local with

Jups, but.. how? See, the idea is that I only have one table, and not one
p.r. machine. Though that would be simplest. Perhaps that is the solution
after all, have a table pr. mailhost. Can't be that I'm the first one to
think of this :).

>     do you really need 2 servers here?

No, correct, at the moment, we could do with only one, but in time we will
need to scale the system over more than one server, and I'd prefer that I've
chosen the correct MTA from the beginning, and that I can plug in a new
server without any hassle. Than to start all over once we figure out that
Exim wasn't what we were looking for. (So far it is what we're looking for,
and more to on top of that :)

And no, I don't see any major problems in having a MySQL on each server.
Except that they need to be maintained, and maintaining X amount of servers
is a bit more hassle than maintaining and securing one. ;-)

Friendly Greetings

S. P. Skou