Re: [Exim] wishlist: exim -Mvm <message-ID>

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] wishlist: exim -Mvm <message-ID>
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Marc Haber wrote:

> every postmaster has to routinely use exim -Mvb and exim -Mvh to debug
> delivery problems. In some situations, it would be a good thing to see
> the message as it will be delivered into the user Mailbox (From line,
> Headers, blank line, body). Maybe having that output in BSMTP format,
> thus including the envelope, would be a good idea too.
>
> May I ask for implementation of that feature in a future version,
> maybe called exim -Mvm?

Suppose a message has many recipients. Suppose that when it is
delivered, each recipient is handled by a different director or router
and transport, and gets different return-paths, different added/removed
headers, etc. Which of the different copies should -Mvm show?

It could be worse. You can make routers and directors conditional on the
time of day, or length of time the message has been on the queue ...

If there is only one recipient, and it is failing, what you can do is to
add yourself using -Mar and then use -M to force a delivery to yourself.