Re: [Exim] name resolution with mailman and exim

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc MERLIN
CC: exim-users, precision
Subject: Re: [Exim] name resolution with mailman and exim
On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> So if a query doesn't get any answer after dns_retrans x dns_retries seconds
> (modulo what really happens in the resolver code), the mail gets spooled,
> and exim tries again later, right?

The mail is always spooled. But when Exim tries to deliver it (either
immediately, or in a queue run), if a particular address requires DNS
resolution, and that times out, then the message gets left on the spool,
and Exim tries again later.

I guess the thing to do is to find a domain name that is timing out,
then tweak the resolver parameters (via Exim) and see how that affects
the time it takes to give up (e.g. using -bt).