Re: [Exim] Custom MAPS for RBL

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Custom MAPS for RBL
Ed Zimmermann rearranged electrons thusly:

> I tried using relays.orbs.org and found it way too restrictive.
> We were flooded with phone calls.

ORBS lists open relays - regardless of whether they have been abused by
spammers or not. Instead, use relays.mail-abuse.org (the RSS) - a list of
open relays which have been abused by spammers.

If you do use ORBS, I'd suggest running it in /warn mode (and also note the
different response codes ORBS returns - there's an ORBS static list to which
Alan Brown [orbs admin] adds ISPs he has personal issues with).

rbl_domains = rbl.maps.vix.com/reject:relays.mail-abuse.org/reject:dul.maps.vix .com/reject:relays.orbs.org=127.0.0.2/warn

127.0.0.2 is the most convenient one to use. If you use orbs, I suggest using
only that, or inputs.orbs.org (which only returns 127.0.0.2) (that is,
inputs.orbs.org:/warn)

127.0.0.3 is a static listing of netblocks (including whole /8s), untestable
netblock entries - where admins have blocked the ORBS tester - are plonked in
127.0.0.4 and finally, there's a catchall 127.0.0.5 entry for netblocks from
which spam hits orbs spamtraps continuously.

http://www.orbs.org/usingindex.html for more

> I see that according the the documentation I can create my own MAPS!
> Cool - But I can't find how to do it. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated

Do you really need it as a DNS zone? wouldn't sender_reject and host_reject,
lsearching through db files, do the trick (unless you want it for multiple
mailservers in a server farm, of course) :)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + sureshr@???
Linux is like a Teepee - No Windows, No Gates, Apache Inside