Re: [Exim] Long lookup time - almost solved now

Author: michael
To: cgknipe, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Long lookup time - almost solved now
> >I seem to remember something about not putting 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' in
> >your resolv.conf file - it causes looping or something.
> >
> >[I can't remember if it was an issue on a specific OS or resolved or named
> >version, but I don't think it's good practice from what I remember.]

> Most Linux docs recommends this. Don't ask me why though :)
> Personally, I just normally put the IP in of the nic on which binds run,
> but oh well, that's personal preference :P

I found that a local, caching only BIND increases overall performance
a lot. Note that you will not see the difference on smaller systems.
I put 127.0.0.1 as first nameserver in resolv.conf and our central
caching nameservers as secondary nameservers. That way I can restart
the local BIND without interrupting regular operation, e.g. to get
rid of the cached records, but usually I enjoy very short latencies.

Michael