[Exim] mailx and exim a bad combo?

Author: crozierm
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] mailx and exim a bad combo?
Hello,

I'm new to exim and to this list. I'm having a problem where yee standard
"mail" command on linux does not interpret headers like the following
correctly (bear with me and I'll explain why I'm asking here ;-):

>From nobody@??? Thu Aug 10 02:40:06 2000
>From crozierm Thu Aug 10 02:40:06 2000

        by xxx.yyy.com (8.9.3/8.8.7) id FAA04963;
        Thu, 10 Aug 2000 05:34:44 -0400

It doesn't understand that the ">From crozierm Thu Aug 10 02:40:06
2000" is part of the header, so when it rewrites the file (user is done
reading mail), it puts a space between the first line and this line. Now
pine/pop/imap/etc... sees the space it thinks that the message has
started and the header is included in the body.

I talked to folks at Redhat (couldn't figure out any other maintainer of
mailx) and they said that the ">From..." IS NOT an acceptable entry in a
mail header, so its not really a bug in mailx.

Which brings me here, since Exim is apparently (am I wrong?) adding this
line. Does it always do this by default? Do I need to make a
header-rewriting script to get rid of this?

Thanks for any tips. I apologize if this is a stupid question... I guess
I'm a stupid user...

-Michael