Re: [Exim] filehandles and such

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: exim-users, sureshr
Subject: Re: [Exim] filehandles and such
On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Dave C. rearranged electrons thusly:
>
> > I wasnt aware of that [exim license forbids its use for spam]

Actually, I was wrong. The licence is the GPL. But the docs say:

The terms and conditions for the use and distribution of Exim are
contained in the file NOTICE. Exim is distributed under the terms of the
GNU General Public Licence, a copy of which may be found in the file
LICENCE.

The use, supply or promotion of Exim for the purpose of sending bulk,
unsolicited electronic mail is incompatible with the basic aims of the
program, which revolve around the free provision of a service that
enhances the quality of personal communications. The author of Exim
regards indiscriminate mass-mailing as an antisocial, irresponsible
abuse of the Internet.

So it doesn't actually make it a license condition. I was wrong.

> In that case, customizing the customer contacts might be a good thing
> (tm). Try a perl script like bulk_mailer

Last time I looked (a long time ago), bulk_mailer was a C program and had
serious reliability problems. One nice thing about moving from sendmail
to exim was that the need for bulk_mailer disappeared. Majordomo no
longer needed it.

-j
--
Jeffrey Goldberg