Re: [Exim] filehandles and such

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Jeffrey Goldberg
Cc: Dan Kappus, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] filehandles and such
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Dan Kappus wrote:
>
> > My boss, the CEO wanted me to write to all our customers about something
> > or another.
> >
> > So I wrote this simple perl script, something like this:
>
> Does the message need to be personalized for each recipient? It would
> be much easier to bulk mail thise. And for that you should use one of a
> large choice of mailing list management systems.
>
> You are aware that the exim license forbids use of exim for spamming.

I wasnt aware of that. Not that it probably does much good, since
someone wanting to spam isnt normally going to pay attention to it
anyway. The only hope might be that PH10 could catch one of em using
exim, and sue them for violation of it (and maybe get enough $$ from it
to quit his job and work fulltime on exim :-> )

> So I assume that all of the recipients explicitly signed up to
> get mail from you.

Hrm. I am an active anti-spammer.

However, even I feel that if a company is sending mail to individuals
that qualify as its 'customers' (especially in a service-oriented
business where the 'customer' relationship is ongoing, and possibly
even more so where the service that is being provided is the very email
service that the massmails are sent to), I think the 'prior existing
business relationship' is in full force. (And he did say 'customers' in
his original message)

I would of course hold that there should be a way for a customer to
request not to receive the messages anyway, but ordinarily an ISP
massmailing its customers telling them of a price decrease (or even of
an increase), or of some new discount or promotion for existing
customers, or other news directly concerning its service (virus
warnings, scheduled outages, new service options, tech support FAQ's,
etc), wouldnt really qualify as spam, even if it was opt-out instead of
opt-in. (And even if it werent, how are you going to report your own
ISP to itself for spamming you? The only thing you could do would be to
switch ISPs, if you were that upset about it)