Re: [Exim] putting '$' in filters

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dennis Taylor
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] putting '$' in filters
On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Dennis Taylor wrote:

> I'm trying to filter like this:
>
> if $h_to begins "$user@"
> then
>    ... yada yada

> seems some dimwit spammer {but I repeat myself} is sending mail to
> $user@something. I love it when spammers tag themselves with predictable
> behaviour
>
> Anyway, I've tried everything from $user to \\\\\\\\$user in increments of
> one \ , and nothing takes. It either ignores it or complains that it can't
> identify the variable. So how do you get a '$' into a filter statement?

*Some* number of \ should work! Did you specifically try

if $h_to: begins \$user@

or

if $h_to: begins "\\$user@"

? Either of these I would expect to work. (Are you sure you want to be
testing $h_to: and not $local_part?) Are you testing with -bf or -bF?
You can set -d10 to get debugging info out of the filtering code when
doing this.