[Exim] so many exim processes that its killing the server

Author: Mikeb
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] so many exim processes that its killing the server
Our Apache Web Server keeps crashing due to exim.
When I do a "top" on the server, it shows about 400+ exim processes, which keeps putting the web server to a halt, and Apache can't serve up any pages.
How can I stop this from happening.
We don't have any mail server on the server it self.
The only thing I can do it to reboot the server when it stops serving pages (about every 4 days)
We only have 1 domain on the server, for our users.

You'll have to pardon our ignorance, however we just lost our admin partners (2) in an auto accident, so I have been having to take a crash course on Linux admin.

Any and all help would be great.

FYI: I also shortened the time for retries, which seemed to allow the server to last a little longer, before that it would only last about 2 to 3 days.

Thanks
Mikeb