[Exim] Another Snapshot (including LMTP over TCP/IP and PIPE…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Another Snapshot (including LMTP over TCP/IP and PIPELINING)
I've again updated the Exim snapshot release in

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-snapshot.tar.gz

in order to fix a bug which turned up in the new LMTP code. However,
this new version also contains (at last!) support for outgoing
PIPELINING in the SMTP protocol (Exim has supported incoming pipelining
for a long time). This should improve the speed of transfer of messages
to consenting servers. I ran a very trivial test from Cambridge to a
server in Oregon, using a message with just one recipient. The time to
send MAIL/RCPT/DATA and get back and check the responses was halved. The
slower the TCP/IP round-trip time, the more you benefit from pipelining.