Re: [Exim] How exim to deliver mails to the mail boxes ?

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How exim to deliver mails to the mail boxes ?
Neeraj Manral rearranged electrons thusly:

> default. It is necessary to set SUPPORT_MBX, SUPPORT_MAILDIR and/or
> SUPPORT_MAILSTORE in `Local/Makefile' to have the appropriate code included.

The default unix mbox format (with support_mbx) will do very nicely ;)

> My Q is Does exim take care of creating mailboxes for users so that when
> ever the pop in they recieve their mails

If the mailbox is empty, a new one will be created when exim appends to it.

> Suppose i do not set the any of the above ones (by default i hve not set any
> one of them )I am having problem in setting the pop server for linux Are the
> two some how related .

This (below) will append mail for a user to a mbox folder user-mydomain.com
(which would be your pop username) - a simple kludge to support virtual
domains on our pop server.

# popmail-qualified transport user-domain.com@???

popmail_qualified:
driver = appendfile
file = /home/popmail/var/spool/mail/${lc:$local_part}-${domain}
quota = 5M
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
# file_must_exist
group = mail
allow_symlink
mode = 0660
user = popmail

That 'file must exist', if uncommented, will refuse to deliver to an empty
mailbox. Using this, you'd better verify that you are _not_ accepting mail for
unknown users, or mail to <any-random-string@???> will create a mbox
called any-random-string-yourdomain.com

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + sureshr@???
Linux is like a Teepee - No Windows, No Gates, Apache Inside