Re: [Exim] rewriting address based on body content...

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewriting address based on body content...
On 2000-10-18 at 20:30 +0200, Jason Quigley gifted us with:
> I was wondering if it's possible to rewrite my outgoing address based on my
> signature?

Yes, but don't use the MTA (Exim) for it. Do it in the MUA, and have
whatever changes the .sig also change the From: header.

If it's on a Unix box, running Exim, set trusted_groups or
trusted_users appropriately in the Exim config.

If you want the SMTP envelope rewritten, then that's doable - you could
even do it inside Exim, based upon the From: header (I think; I only use
rewrites for obscuration, and would need to look up more dynamic stuff).

Don't write word-processors in Assembler. Don't get the MTA fiddling
with existing headers based upon message content. These are both
examples of breaking the abstraction interface. The MTA's already
overloaded, for Sendmail-compatibility.
--
Civilisation: where they cut down the trees and name streets after them.