Re: [Exim] Exim quotas & alias file options.

Author: Drew Skinner
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim quotas & alias file options.
Hi;

Some closing comments -

<snip>

>Because of a request, the next release of Exim contains an option to
>continue to deliver until the mailbox is *over* quota (as opposed to
>behaving like a system quota and maintaining a hard disk limit). The
>site that turns this on then has an entirely separate program that runs
>as a cron job. It watches the mailboxes, and if it finds any that are
>over quota, it stuffs a warning message on the end - knowing that Exim
>won't ever add to an over-quota mailbox - provided the message isn't
>there already.
>
>If you know how users behave, you might guess one result of this - users
>delete *just the warning message*, so they stay over quota, and the
>system puts the warning message back again next time!

This sounds like a reasonable approach. I'd prefer it to go over limit once,
append a warning message, then quit delivering to the end user.

I've adjusted my delay_warning to be much lower for the initial warning & I
think that will take care of the sender. You almost need to have context
sensitive warning messages (shudder).

<snip>

>It's called "piping". You can do it like this:
>
>alias: |/path/to/vacation/file
>
>but you have to set a pipe_address_transport on the director to tell it
>which transport to run.
>
>Or do you mean that /path/to/vacation/file contains the message to send?
>You could do that by passing it as an argument to the pipe:
>
>alias: |/usr/ucb/vacation /path/to/vacation/file

Yes, but I want to emphasize here that there is no mail administrator (per se)
in charge of the alias files. Every domain controls their own. I have
experimented with CGI's that write out to the files such things as
vacation entries, but the users I'm dealing with want the flat text
files & want to
edit them by hand in a text editor.

My suggestion here would be simply to have a setting in Local/Makefile for the
location of the vacation program. vacation=/usr/bin/vacation (or wherever).

With this info it would be very simple to build an option such as :vacation:
which would simply pipe to vacation the specified file. Granted it's frivolous,
but the request came from end users who thought it would be easier -
IMO it does
make the syntax simpler _for them_.

All the best,

Drew.